Saturday, March 31, 2007

Snoqualmie Falls

Thursday we went on a family adveture to Snoqualmie Falls for a day of fun and a picnic. The falls were the biggest we've seen in a while from all the snow melting.


The kids were amazed at how loud the waterfall was and how big.


Afterwards, we had a picnic at the park near the falls. As we sat eating, the girls suddenly turned around and started shouting, "Squirrel! Squirrel!" This well-fed squirrel began circling our table.

How cute, we thought. Until he kept coming closer, and closer, and closer. Suddenly he was only about a foot from the kids side of the table - staring up at us from the ground waiting for his share of the picnic.

Now, I like a good squirrel here and there, but when I have shorts on and those little claws are close enough to reach out and get aquianted with me, I don't like squirrels anymore. The girls were getting a litte nervous, too, so I decided it was time to be the tough father and scare away the big, fat, scarry squirrel.

I stood and walked around the table to shoo it away, thinking it would scamper off like all squirrels do. I was wrong. As I came within two feet of that beast, instead of fleeing to higher ground, he took a step towards me, as if to taunt me and say, "Wha'cha gonna do now?"

Now I have to admit, for a second my heart started beating double-time as I pictured that rabbid monster nibbling away at my legs like they were ears of corn. But I quickly regained my compusure and, determined not to mar my reputation as the protective daddy, held my ground.

With arms flailing (and other park-goers laughing, I'm sure) I put that squirrel in it's place and sent it retreating for safety. That's right, I stared danger in the eyes and lived to tell about it! With our comfort zone re-established, we finished our picnic in peace.

Picnic completed, we headed to the old logging town of Snoqualmie and walked along the old train tracks. It was balance beam skill testing time for some...


And just adventure time for others...

We had a great day!

2 comments:

Cindy Pruitt Carlson said...

Looks like the perfect day. Its fun that you are able to do so many family outings.

Jeana said...

What a great story! It was fun seeing you guys at the Carlsons this weekend!