Saturday, March 17, 2007

Where broccoli really comes from

In the car the other day, Jadyn and I got into this drawn-out conversation that all started with chickens. We were discussing the different kinds and the various noises they could make if they were feeling different ways.

Then the conversation took a tough turn: Jadyn wanted to know why the chicken we eat had the same name as the chickens we were talking about. I , as kind as I could be, explained that they were the same, and that in reality, we eat many things that come from animals. So, on and on the conversation went. We were discussing every animal you could name and what we may or may not eat/get from it.

Then the back seat got very quiet. Usually, when that happens, Jadyn is pondering some big, profound question in her head that I am going to have a hard time answering. This time, however, when I inquired about what she was thinking so hard about, the reply I got was:

"Mommy, I was just trying to figure something out. What animal does broccoli come from? I am super sure it is not something we should eat from."

That is, by far, one of the most creative excuses I have ever heard someone come up with to try to get out of eating broccoli for dinner.

No comments: