Friday, April 03, 2009

The difference one letter can make...

Jadyn worried me the other night, then cracked me up.

Jadyn and I were talking about the kids who sit at her table in Kindergarten. There is a set of identical twin girls in her class, and she mentioned that one of them sits next to her. I asked if she had any trouble telling her apart from her sister, and this is where the funny conversation went from there:

Jadyn: "No. It's easy."
Daddy: "Oh? How can you tell?"
Jadyn: "Nicole has mold on her lip and her sister doesn't."
Daddy: "What? What did you say?" (a little puzzled, intrigued, and worried...)
Jadyn: "She has mold on her lip. That's what my teacher said."
(Now I'm thinking... okay, why is the teacher saying mold... hmm...)
Daddy: "What does it look like?" (we'll try another approach...)
Jadyn: "Well... it's brown."

(Now I'm racking my brain, wondering, could this really be??

No, it has to be something else...)
Daddy: "Is it shaped like a circle?"
Jadyn: "Yeah."
Daddy: "Is it on her face above her lip?"
Jadyn: "Yeah."
Daddy: "Okay. Does she have a mole?"
Jadyn: "Oh. Is that what it is? I thought my teacher said mold. What's a mole?"

I went on to explain - showing her moles on my arms and hers. Whew! And I was getting a little worried that her teacher was giving the kids pet names and picking on them.~

No comments: