Thursday, March 20, 2008

Do you remember how exciting it was to get a new bike when you were a kid?

Our biggest little girl has definitely outgrown her old bike and has been needing a larger bike for some time now. We finally pulled the plug and got a new one for her today.

She was very, very excited! And a little sad, too... but only for a moment...

As we walked through Fred Meyer heading for the bikes in the far back corner (she didn't know why we were there...), I told her I had some sad news. I told her that I had watched her ride her bike today and that she was just growing too big for it. And, in fact, I didn't think it was safe for her to ride it anymore because she was way too big for the bike. So I told her that I was sorry, but she wasn't going to be allowed to ride that bike anymore.

Loud silence came from my child. I'm sure thoughts raced through her head as she tried to comprehend this sad, surprising news - I can't ride my bike anymore?!

Just as she turned to ask me if I'd lost my mind and begin her protest, we rounded the corner and the bikes came into view. Before she could utter a word, I said flatly, " That's right, Honey. I'm afraid we're just going to have to get you a new, bigger bike."


Her look was priceless! Her mouth hung open, still ready to argue, and then after a few seconds her wrinkled look of protest turned into a gleaming, and yet still a little doubtful, smile of hesitant joy... and then she turned and saw the bikes. "Really?! We're getting a new bike for me?! Wow!"

So here she is... the proud owner of a new bike! She looks great. It's amazing how quickly she's grown - our big 5-1/2 year old. We love you, Jadyn - our big little girl!

No comments: