Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Shhhhh - I can't hear Daddy

I, Mark, came down with a case of laryngitis two days ago at work. My voice is gone, which is really convenient in a customer service oriented job where you interact with people all day long.

It's been interesting, though, to see how I can interact with the kids without being able to talk verbally to them. I can muster up a faint whisper, but other than that it's been all hand gestures and mock sign language. The funniest part for me, though, has been the power of suggestion we've observed. Ever since I got home yesterday morning from work, our kids spent the majority of yesterday and most of today whispering with me. I've tried to tell them they don't need to (unlike other times that we're trying to be quiet, etc.), but they keep forgetting and "doing what I do" by whispering anyways.

Julie has told me she used this method when she used to be a teacher. If the kids were getting too loud, she would only talk in whispers, and pretty soon the whole class would be quietly whispering, too. Pretty entertaining.

And to my kids, thanks for the company!

No comments: